The Office for National Statistics has released the 2010 annual survey into e-commerce and ICT activity.
The survey measures the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) by non-financial businesses with 10 or more employment.
The largest businesses continued to lead the way in the adoption of new technology. However, smaller businesses were closing the gap with increasing numbers using broadband and mobile 3G Internet, developing websites and using the Internet to interact with public authorities.
- E-commerce sales represented 16.9 per cent of total sales in 2010, up from 16.1 per cent in 2009
- Website sales represented 4.2 per cent of total sales in both 2009 and 2010
- 78.7 per cent of businesses had a website
- 51.9 per cent of businesses had mobile broadband using 3G
- 86.5 per cent of businesses used the Internet to interact with public authorities